Monday, February 22, 2010

Flautists


I was recently commissioned to make some flute pendants.  Now when I'm writing this I feel like it was almost a school assignment; I was given the colors to work with, and the shape and size, and I had to figure out how to portray a flute player and music.

Flutes are hard. Their details aren't proportional to their size, so most attempts end up either looking like a plain line, or the section of a large something with circular things on it. After a lot of experimenting, I ended up using Mokume Gane for a background of musical staffs and notes, and clay "drawings" of Flautists.  Each one is 1 3/4" in diameter.  I think I'm pleased with the results. Anyone else have a request?

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, these are spectacular! You continue to amaze me with your endless talent.

    ReplyDelete